Monday, August 25, 2008

Calculus I -- Welcome Fall 2008

Welcome to JMU and your first semester of calculus. I'm excited this semester to be teaching calculus again. I hope that you're excited as well.

So, while I was preparing for class, I came across MIT's open courseware program. This is a pretty amazing collection of knowledge that is freely accessible. Feel free to browse it. In particular, I found a text written by Gilbert Strang that will be an outstanding parallel reference for our course this year. I'm especially impressed with how he makes the text conversational in style rather than the more typical dry style of math textbooks.

We'll be pushing through the first chapter of our official textbook very quickly as it should be a review of mathematics that you have already taken.

See you in class!

No comments: